Selected quad for the lemma: england_n

Word A Word B Word C Word D Occurrence Frequency Band MI MI Band Prominent
england_n henry_n king_n lancaster_n 5,263 5 11.7365 5 true
View all documents for the selected quad

Text snippets containing the quad

ID Title Author Corrected Date of Publication (TCP Date of Publication) STC Words Pages
B01015 The foundation of the universitie of Cambridge, vvith a catalogue of the principall founders and speciall benefactours of all the colledges, and totall number of students, magistrates and officers therein being, anno 1634. Scot, John, the elder. 1634 (1634) STC 4485; ESTC S126049 12,171 3

There are 3 snippets containing the selected quad. | View lemmatised text

lived at the Universitie charges Afterwards Walter Thaxted Master of the same with the consent of Richard Ling then Chancellour and the Universitie resigned th first foundation into the hands of Elisabeth Countesse of Clare widow sometimes the wife of John de Burgo Earl of Vlster which Elisabth had formerly given the perpetuall patronage of Litlington and bestowed many other favours upon this Colledge She then under the licence of King Edward 3 altered the first name and called it after her own name Collegium sive Aula de Clare In which Colledge by the gift o● this Honourable Foundresse and of Thomas Stoyl and Edm. Naturesse Masters thereof John Thaxton Edith Green William Ducket Wil. Worleigh Will. Marshall Ralph Scrivener Thom. Cave Doct. Leeds late Master Thom. Cecil late Earl of Excester and the Ladie Dorothe his wife who gave 108 pounds per annum William Butler sometimes Fellow and President of this House the famous Physician who gave one challice of pure gold with other plate and books c. to the value of 500 pounds John Freeman Esquire who gave 2000 pounds Doct. Scot Dean of Rochester c. late Master who gave in money plate and books the summe of 300 pounds Mast George Ruggle late Fellow who gave in money plate and books above 400 pounds Sir Robert Heath Atturney-Generall c. Mast Thomas Biag Mast Humfrey H●de Robert Johnson of Luffenham Esquire Mast Erasmus Farrer Mast William Briden Mast Thom. Cropley and divers other benefactours there is at this present in the same a Master 18 Fellows 36 scholars 20 poore schol besides officers and servants of the foundation with other students the whole number being 106. Thomas Pask Doct. of Divinitie Archdeacon of London c now Master thereof PEMBROKE Hall 1343. MArie de S. Paul Countesse of Pembroke Baronesse of Veisser and Mountenact daughter to Guido Chastillion Earl of S. Paul in France and of Marie Britannia his wife after the death of Audomarus de Valentia Earl of Pembroke c. whose third wife she was but for one day as it is thought betook her self wholly to devotion bestowing the greatest part of her estate on Churches religious houses the poore and her servants having built Dennie Abbey procured licence from King Edward 3 to found this house by the name of the Colledge of Mary Valence after called Pembroke Hall within the compasse whereof as now it stands are the ancient Hostles of the Universitie and S. Thomas Knaptons Boultons and Cousing places with part of the Chauntrie-house of little S. Maries endowing ●●e same with divers Patronages Impropriations lands rents plate jewels and other ornaments and established therein one Master six Fellows and two scholars It hath been since enlarged by the gift of holy King Henry the sixth Edward Storie Bishop of Chichester Gerhard and Nich●as Skipwith Doct. Atkinson Sir William Hussey Knight Charles Booth Bishop of Hereford S. Roger Strange Knight Doct. Wats William Marshall Will. Smart and Alice his wife afterwards married to Ralph Scrivener Jane Cox widow all these besides John Laughton Bishop of S. Davids Laurence Booth and Thomas Scot aliàs Rotheram both Archbishops of York Richard Fox Bishop of Winchester Doct. Short●n Dean of Stoa● Edmund Grindall and John Whitgift Archbishops of Canterburie William Fulk Doct. of Divinitie which were all Mastes of this House and have by gifts of lands money plate books c. augmented the same and Lancelot Andrews Doct. of Divinitie late Mast●r and Bishop of Winchester hath given 1000 pounds and the perpetuall Patronage of Rawreth in Essex with 374 folio books well bou● Wherein there is at this present a Master 19 Fellows one tanquam 33 scholars of the House besides officers and servants of the foundati●n with other students the whole number being 100. Benjamin Laney Doct. of Divinitie Chaplain to the Kings Majestie c. now Master CORP CHRISTI Colledge 1351. HEnrie of Monmouth surnamed Torto Collo sonne and heir of Henrie of Laneaster Lord of Monmouth and Pomfret Earl of Lancaster Leicester and Derbie and high Steward of England succeeded his father in all these honours and was by King Edward the 3 created Earl of Lincoln and Knight of the most honourable order of the Garter Duke of Lancaster and Lord high Steward of England c. Of the Fraternitie or Guild of Corpus Christi and blessed Marie the Virgin neare unto Luthborn lane and the Hostle of S. Bernard in the East whereof himself was then Alderman ordained this Colledge in the yeare 1351 and among other things appropriated unto the same the perpetuall patronage of S. Benedicts Church adjoyning to this Colledge Which Colledge since hath been much beautified with buildings and increased in revenews by the liberalities of the Ladie Margaret Brotherton Dutchesse of Norfolk c. Thomas Cambridge Esquire S. Iohn Cambridge Knight who gave a place called Stonehouse or Stonehall towards the augmentation of the same Iohn ●ee● Esquire Bedle Matthew Parker Fellow and Master of this House Doctour of Divinitie Archbishop of Canterburie S. Nicholas Bacon Knigh● Lord Keeper of the great Seal of England Roger Mannors late Earl of Rutland Lord Roos of Hamlake Belvoir and Trousbut c. Mast Roger Mannors his great uncle M. William Benedict and M. Leonard Cawson who gave 18 pounds 13 shillings 4 pence for the maintenance of three scholarships besides divers other benefactours So as there is at this present in the same a Master 12 Fellows 37 scholars besides officers and servants of the foundation with other students the whole number being 126. Richard Love Doctour of Divinitie now Vicechancellour and Master TRINITIE Hall 1353. WIlliam Bateman born in the citie of Norwich Doct. of the Civil Law Archdeacon of Norwich after the 18 Bishop of that See for exchange of certain Parsonages obtained an ancient Hostle neare adjoyning to the Vniversitie House or Ha●l butting upon Milnstreet and S. Iohn Zacharies Church East where in former time students lived at their at their own charges which one Iohn de Crawden Prior of Elie had purchased for the Monks of that Priorie to inhabite and reside in and made thereof a Colledge or Ha●l for the students of the Law dedicating the same to the honour of the 〈◊〉 and blessed Trinitie in the citie of Norwich endowing the same with lands and possessions To this Hostle before it was by him purchased 〈◊〉 ●ichard Ling Doctour of Divinitie Chancellour of this Universitie Archibald of Norwich Simon de Rekenhall and Walter Elvedon g●●● foure tenements Robert Stratton John Trunch Walter Baketon Walte● de Aldersey and Peter de Bittering gave two messuages and seven pieces of ground one of the messuages being called Drakes entrie This Colledge hath since by the bountie of M. Simon Dalling and Walter Huke Masters thereof Robert Goodnap John Maptid Gabr. Dun Richard Nix Bishop of Norwich Steph. Gardiner Doct. of Law Master of this House Bishop of Winchester Lord Chancellour of England and Chancellour of this Universitie Matthew
Parker Archbishop of Canterburie Doct. Mowse Doct. Harvey M. Busbie M. Hare Esquire Doct. Cowell late Master Doct. of Law and Kings Professour S. George Newman Knight and other benefactours been much enlarged So as there is at this present a Master 12 Fellows 14 scholars besides officers and servants of the foundation with other students the whole number being threescore Thomas Eden Doctour of Law Chancellour of Ely c. now Master GON CAI Colledge 1353. EDmund Gonvil Rector of Terrington and Rushworth in Norfolk obtained licence of King Edward 3 to erect this Colledge the first foundation whereof he laid anno 1348 where the orchyard of Corpus Christi Colledge is now situate which he dedicated to the honour of the Annunciation of Blessed Marie the Virgin wherein he established a Master and 4 Fellows whom while he lived with his own money he maintained But he died untimely anno 1353 giving by will a great summe of money in trust to Will. Bateman Bishop of Norwich to perfect this his Colledge or Hall and to endow it with competent possessions who in anno 1353 procured the said Master and Fellows to remove to a place neare unto his own Colledge then in building called Trinitie Hall anciently called Henny in the parish of S. Michael where he purchased by exchange divers messuages and tenements on which he erected the same by the name of Gonvil Hall Afterwards John Caius Doct. of Physick a learned antiquarie in ann 1557 was made a Co-founder by letters Patents who caused it to be called Gonvil and Caius Colledge he added to the former court being foure square his fair building of free-stone increased the treasurie with new revenews enriching it with large possessions for the maintenance of three Fellows 20 scholars and a porter Since the Ladies Marie Pakenham and Anne Scroop Elisabeth Cleere Doct. Balie Stephen Smith Richard Willison Thom. Atkins Peter Hewit William Gale Thom. Willows William Sigo Doct. Knight Iohn Whitacre Matth. Parker Archbishop of Canterburie Robert Traps and Ione his wife Ioyce Franklin their daughter Doct. Wendie Doct. Bishbie Doct. Harvey S. William Paston Knight William Cutting Doct. Legge Doct. Branthwait and Doct. G●stlin late Masters of this House Doct. Perse and Doct. Wells late Fellows of this House and many other good benefactours have increased the number of Fellows and scholars books and buildings c. of this Colledge so as there is at this present in the same a Master 25 Fellows one Chaplain 69 scholars besides officers and servants of the foundation with other students the whole number being 209. Thomas Bacheroft Doctour of Divinitie c. being now Master thereof KINGS Colledge 1441. HEnry the sixth called Henry of Windsor King of England and France sonne and heir of King Henry the fifth and of Katharine daughter of Charles the sixth King of France began this royall foundation dedicating the same to the honour of S. Nicholas consisting then of one Master and 12 scholars in or about the places where the Churches of S. Nicholas and S. Iohn Zacharie S. Augustines Hostle and Gods House had formerly been situated But within two yeares after he enlarged the first foundation dedicating the same to the honour of our blessed Ladie Mary the Virgin and S. Nicholas In which Colledge at this present is standing one of the fairest Chappels in the world conformable whereunto he intended to have made this his Colledge which by his untimely death he left onely begun and unperfected for some of his Royall Successours to finish Afterwards King Henry the 7 finished the stone-work in part of the said Chappel and King Henry the 8 caused the same to be glased seated paved and perfected To this Colledge the Founder under his great Seal by Act of Parliament confirmed this coat of Arms which here in the margin they bear placing in chief a flower of France and a lion of England that it may appeare to be the work of a King Since Roger Goad Doct. of Divinitie late Fellow and Provost Adam Robins Richard Day and Doct. Cowell late Fellows Doct. Smith late Fellow and Provost William Henshaw late Fellow also Thomas Weaver late Fellow new Fellow and late Vice-Provost of Eton hath wainscotted the back of the Fellows and scholars seats on both sides of the said Chappel in a decent and comely manner and divers other benefactours with books and other ornaments have much enriched the same In which Colledge at this present is a Provost 70 Fellows and scholars 3 Chaplains one master of the Choristers 6 Clarks 16 Choristers 16 colledge-officers of the foundation besides 12 servitours to the seniour Fellows 6 poore scholars with other students the whole number being 140. Samuel Collins Doctour of Divinitie and the Kings Professour c. now Provost QUEENS Colledge 1448. MArgaret A●degavensis daughter of Reyner Duke of Aniou titularie King of Sicilie Naples and Jerusalem Consort of King Henry the 6 obtained licence of the same King to build this Colledge upon part of the ground belonging to the Carmelites or White Friars butting on Milnstreet in the parish of S. Botolphs and to purchase land of the value of 200 pounds for the endowment thereof dedicating the same to S. Margaret and S. Bernard but she died and left it unperfect Afterwards Queen Elisabeth wife to King Edward the 4 obtained licence to finish the same which she accomplished This Colledge since by the liberalitie of the Ladies Margaret Roos Iane Inglethorp and Iane Burrough George Duke of Clarence Ciciley Dutchesse of York Richard Duke of Glocester the Ladie Anne his wife Edward Earl of Salisburie Maud Countesse of Oxford Marm. Lomly Bishop of Lincoln Chancellour of this Universitie Andrew Ducket Rector of S. Botolphs sometimes Principall of S. Bernards Hostle and the first President of this Colledge who had formerly been a Friar and gathered of well disposed persons much money and procured the Kings mandate that the Maior Bailiffes and Burgesses of the Town of Cambridge should sell him a parcell of ground called Goose-green in the parish aforesaid which is now an island lying between the Colledge and the green called Youngs green or bank Hugh Trotter Doct. of Divinitie Iohn Drewell and William Weld Canons of S. Pauls S. Thom. Smith Fellow of this Colledge principall Secretarie to Queen Elisabeth Henry Wilshaw 13 President of this Colledge D. Stokys John Chetham Henry Hastings Earl of Huntington Iohn Joslin George Mountague late Archbishop of York together with many other noble and well disposed persons benefactours it is so increased as at this present there is in the same a President 19 Fellows 23 scholars 8 Bible-clarks and 3 Lecturers of Hebrew Arithm. and Geomet besides other officers and servants of the foundation with other students the whole number being 190. Edward Martin Doctour of Divinitie being now President thereof KATHARINE Hall 1475. RObert Woodlark born at Wakerly in Northumberland Doct. of Divinitie the last fellow that King Henry 6 placed in Kings Colledge third Provost
Keeper of the pr●v●● Seal Bishop of Lincoln S. Ralph Hare K. of the Bath Robert Iohnson of Luffenham Esquire and other good benefactours So as there is at this present in the same a Master 54 Fellows 84 scholars besides officers and servants of the foundation with many other students being in all 282. William Beal Doctour of Divinitie c. now Master thereof MAGDALENE Colledge 1519. EDward Stafford last Duke of Buckingham Earle Stafford Hereford and Northampton sonne and heir of Henry Stafford second Duke 〈◊〉 Buckingham and Constable of England founded this Colledge by the name of Buckingham Colledge in a place where the Priory ● Gy●es had formerly been situated it was after an Hostle or Hall inhabited by divers Monks of severall monasteries to reside and study in and therefore of old called Monks Colledge the backsides whereof at this present retain the name of Monks corner Afterwa●ds in the yeare 1542 Thomas Audley Baron of Walden Lord Chancellour of England obtained licence of King Henry 8 to alter the former name and call it S. Mary Magdalene Colledge in the fair Universitie of Cambridge unto which he gave both lands and revenews The right Honourable Theophilus Howard Earl of Suffolk Knight of the Garter being now by inheritance Patron thereof Which Colledge by the gift of King Henry 8 the Founder and Patron S. Christopher Wrey Lord chief Justice of the Kings Bench Iohn Spenliffe of Lincolnsh Edmond Grindall Arch-Bishop of Canterbury Tho. Parkinson Rector of Wivelingham Will. Roberts of Norfolk Iohn Hughes Tho. Su●ton of Balsham Esquire and also the Honourable Lady Frances Countesse dowager of Warwick wife of Robert Rich first Earl of Warwick who gave maintenance for one Fellow and 2 scholars and others who have been benefactours is much increased so as at this present there is a Master 11 Fellows and 22 scholars besides officers and servants of the foundation with other students being in all 140. Henry Smith Doctour of Divinitie c. being now Master thereof TRINITIE Colledge 1546. HEnry the 8 King of England France and Ireland Defender of the Faith c. after the suppression 1546. united Kings Hall founded by King Edward 3. Michael house founded by Hervicus de Stanton Chancellour of the Exchequor to King Edward 2. and Phiswick Hostle founded by John Phiswick one of the Esquire Bedles into a Colledge by the name of the holy and undivided Trinity which he endowed with 1640 pounds per ann in or about the places where formerly besides these 3 houses were anciently situated S. Gregories Ho●tle S. Katharines Hostle Margaret Hostle S. Gerhards Hostle Tylers Hostle and Owens Inne Since Queen Mary augmented the Colledge by a third part in Fellows and scholars besides the whole foundation of the Quier As also Thomas Allen Clark gave two fellowships and lands to other uses S. Edward Stanhop Knight founded a library-keeper and a servant under him the Lady Anne Bromley gave 5 scholarships George Palyn Girdler the Lady Anne Weld widow Roger Jesson Haberdasher Mistris Elis Elwis widow of Jeffery Elwis Alderman ha●e each of them given severall pensions Doct. Bill Doct. Beaumont John Whitgift Arch-Bishop of Canterbury all Masters of this house D●ct Cousins Doct. Barrow Doct. Skeffington Will. Cooper Esquire Peter Shaw S. Will. Sidley Knight and Baronet S. Tho. Lake Knight S John Suckling Knight Thomas Nevill Doct. of Divin late Master who expended the summe of 3000 pounds in building the back Court R●●ert Banckworth Doct. of Divinitie late Fellow S. Raph Hare Knight Master Silvius Elwis now of this Colledge and King Iames besides ●●●ers other noble and generous benefactours have so increased the same with buildings books and revenews as at this present it is one of the ●st goodly and uniform Colledges in Europe wherein is a Master 60 Fellows 67 scholars 4 Conducts 3 Publique Professours 13 poore s●●olars a master of the Choristers 6 Clarks 10 Choristers 20 Almesmen besides officers and servants of the foundation with many other s●●dents being in all 440. Thomas Cumber Doctour of Divinitie Dean of Carlile c. now Master thereof EMMANUEL Colledge 1584. SIr Walter Mildmay Knight Chancellour and Treasurer of the Exchequour Privie Counsellour to our late Soveraigne Lady Queen Elisabeth obtained licence of the said Queen to found and erect this Colledge for the maintenance of a Master 30 Fellows and scholars nomine plurium as the revenews should ever be able to maintain in the place where in times past inhabited the Blackfryars otherwise called Fratres Praedicantes in the street of them called Preachers street and therein established a Master 3 Fellows and 4 scho●ars for increase of which foundation the said Queen Elisabeth gave 16l l 13s. 4d. per annum out of the Exchequor Since it hath been much ●ugmented by the liberalitie of Henry Earl of Huntington S. Francis Hastings his brother S. Robert Iermyn S. Francis Walsingham S. Henry Killegrew S. Wolstan Dixy S. Iohn Hart S. Samuel Leonard and S. Thomas Skinner Knights Alexander Noel Doctour of Divinitie Dean of S. Pauls in the City of London Doct. Leeds Doct. Harvey Doct. Branthwait Robert Taylor Customer Smith Nicholas Fuller Roger Snegg Francis Chamberlain Master Ellis Iohn Spenliff William Neale and Edmun. English Esquires Aldermon Radcliff Iohn Morley Richard Cul●erwel Robert Iohnson Esquire Iohn Bernes the Lady Mary Dixy Martha Iermin Alice Owen Ioyce Franckland and Elisabeth Walters widows Doct. Richardson late Fellow Master of Trinitie Colledge S. Henry Mildmay of Graces in Essex Knight Master Richard Knightly of Preston●n ●n Northamptonshire Esquire and divers other benefactours which Colledge is now enlarged with a fair new building of 4 stories high containing 140 foot There is at this present in the same a Master 14 Fellows 50 scholars 10 poore scholars besides officers and servants of the foundation with other students the whole number being 310. William Sandcroft Doctour of Divinitie c. now Master thereof SIDNEY SUSSEX Coll. 1598. FRances Sidney Countesse of Sussex sister to S. Henry Sidney Knight Lord Deputie of Ireland and President of Wales Aunt to the renowned S. Philip Sidney widow of Tho. Radcliffe 3 Earl of Sussex founded this Colledge by the name of the Colledge of the Lady Frances Sidney Sussex in a place called the Grey Fryars which Friary builded by King Henry 1. suppressed Anno 1546. by King Hen. 8. and given to Trinitie Colledge in Cambridge was since from it by Act of Parliament conveyed to the executours of the said Countesse Henry Grey 5 Earl of Kent and Iohn Lord Harrington of Exton in fee-farm for the building and perfecting of this her Colledge she gave by her last will and testament besides her goods unbequeathed 5000 pounds wherewith her executors aforenamed built and endowed it with lands revenews for the maintenance of a Master 10 Fellows and 20 scholars Which being increased by the accessarie foundation of S. Iohn Hart Knight Leonard Smith Citizen of London Peter Blundel of Tiverton Clothier Iohn Freeston Esquire Edward Lord Mountague of Boughton c. hath in present a Master 12 Fellows and 33 scholars and for the further enlarging thereof S. Francis Clark Knight hath lately built 20 Chambers for students founded 4 fellowships with 8 scholarships more and augmented the scholarships of the foundation Benefactours to the same Colledge have been the forementioned executours Iohn Lord Harrington the younger the Lady Lucie Countesse of Bedford his sister the Lady Anne Harrington his mother the aforenamed Lord Mountague Iames Mountague his brother Doctor of Divinitie Bishop of Winchester the first Master George Lord Goring S. Iohn Breerton Knight his Majest Sergeaunt in the Kingdome of Ireland one of the first scholars of this house a most bountifull benefactour Iohn Young Doctour of Divinitie Dean of Winchester Fellow of this Colledge S. William Wilmore the first Pensioner in it Robert Iohnson of Luffenham Archdeacon of Leicester Iohn Harrington Godf. Fuljambe Edward Wray and Robert Hudson Esquiers The whole number of students at this present with officers and servants of the foundation are 210. Samuel Ward Doctour of Divinitie and the Lady Margaret Professour c. now Master thereof The totall number of Students of all Degrees in this Vniversitie that had names in every particular Colled●e with the Magistrates and daily officers thereunto belonging besides divers young Scholars that were relieved herein which had no names in any of the Colledges aforesaid was in Anno 16●● 3050. And by reason of the visitation of sicknesse in the yeare 1629 many were then dispersed to Oxford and other places and no supply came the yeare ●●lowing by which means there is now in the same but 2848. Printed by the Printers to the Vniversitie of Cambridge for JOHN SCOT the elder and to be sold over against Holborn Conduit at the house of Robert Peak Anno 1634.